Sunday, February 12, 2017

Running is my...........?

 The date of February 12th 2007 is the only actual date that is etched in stone for me as far as stopping addictions go. I never kept track of the actual date I quit doing cocaine or my last shot of Jack Daniels, and I only know when I had my last sip of Stella because it was on my 50th birthday. 2/12/07 was the day I gave up my longest and toughest addiction, cigarette smoking. I first started smoking regularly when I was around 13 years old and most likely averaged around 1.5 packs a day from age 16 until quitting about 6 months shy of my 46th birthday.
 It is no coincidence that my running started after stopping smoking. My stepson Joe encouraged me to take up running as a way to deal with stressors without nicotine. I was also put on the antidepressant Wellbutrin to also aid in my staying smoke free. I was doing a run this morning at Chapin Forest thinking about how people often say "running is your new addiction." My usual reply was while that may be true, it is a quite healthy one to have. Today I just feel, in my case running isn't even close to an addiction, but rather a tool to help me avoid addictive behavior & negative actions.
There are days when my body suggests I take a day off from running and my brain accepts it without feeling remorse.
 As an addict I could not even fathom not doing my hit or snort or shot. If you put it in front of me I would do it no questions asked.

Top 10 Reasons Running Isn't my Addiction

  1.  I never gave my landlord a bad check because I needed the money for running
  2.  No one ever put a gun to my head while seeking out my next race
  3.  I never have to lie about what I am doing or where I am. I'm out running!
  4.  I don't miss family obligations because I "need" to get some miles in
  5.  Never get questioned by the law as to what I was doing in this neighborhood at this time
  6.  It isn't necessary for me to get cash from a loan shark to sign up for my next run
  7.  I do not feel shame, embarrassment or guilt by my running habits
  8.  I'm not concerned with my running cohorts ripping me off to pay for their next race
  9.  After running around in the woods for 30+ hours I welcome a few days off from it
  10.  I never will leave work at noon on payday and spend all my cash & time at a running store                    
I use running in a positive manner to keep me grounded both mentally & physically. There are times when running should, & does take a back seat to more important things in life. I understand and accept that if I make running the "be all end all" of my life, it could turn into an addiction, and that's not something I plan on revisiting. That being said, I did just take a break from this and sign up for the Mill Creek 1/2 Marathon in March.
Visit my website to learn more about my involvement with substance abuse issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment